Old 04-15-2011, 11:34 PM
HanNatNana

I had a Bernina 830 many moons ago (bought new, since traded) and the foot pedal did the same...it was in summer and I was sewing with bare feet and the pedal started burning my foot, then 'pop' and it stopped. Took it to the local dealer, this is back when they used to 'repair' things rather than buy a new one and he said it was a capacitor that had blown and replaced it. I never had another problem while I owned the machine, nor did the new owner for many years later. So if you know an electrician or someone with electronics as a hobby, from what I recall it was a regular capacitor....they could test it for you anyway and it would probably be much cheaper to repair, than replace.

Hope this helps?
Nana ;-)

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Hi again! Thought I would stop in before y'all reached 1,000 pages.

I have a question about my 1975 Bernina 830 (tons cheaper than the current Bernina 830!). Yesterday I was merrily quilting along and my machine stopped running. As usual I reached down to push the plug back into the foot pedal. When I picked it up I notice it was very hot. I mean really hot. Put the pedal on the floor again and went to sew... no dice! She ain't moving.

The light on the machine remained on so I am pretty sure the problem lies with the foot pedal. But, what would cause it to heat up like that and why won't it move?

Anyone, know what is going on here? To my recollection this has not happened before in the 36 years I have had her. Hopefully, someone knows what's going on. Thanks for any help you can give me. Nice chatting with y'all again. :-D :-D