Old 04-16-2011, 03:06 PM
karenm36

Or maybe it's me? :roll:

Either way, I'm frustrated and can't figure out how to fix this darn problem!

I found a flower basket pattern on line that I like. Says it makes a 10 inch finished block. Printed it off and started plugging away slowly, taking my time. Seems all is well...until

...The pattern shows how to make most of the blocks but not all of them. I figure I'll figure it out as I go along...Then...

...I'm sewing the side units on and realize that they're cutting into one of the triangle units...there goes the points. Now that's not right!...so...

...I get back online to find the pattern and see if there were some additional instructions that I might have failed to print off. I found the pattern again...but this time noticed that it says the finished block is 12 inches!!! BUT the measurements for cutting everything is the same...nothing has changed.

...So, just to see what this finished block will look like I go ahead and finish it...and it turns out to be about 10 1/2 inches square!

Somethings all wrong with the math. And the directions are lacking to say the least.

So my questions:

Would you just find another flower basket pattern? (Though I do like this one) And do you know what that might be more user friendly than this one?

If I stay with this one...how on earth do I start attempting to figure out how the points got lost? I don't even know what the finished block size is supposed to be as it's listed as 10 inches in one place and as 12 inches in another...

And lastly...I noticed that my white on white fabric is scorching a bit. I've worked with white on white before and that has never happened. I don't live the iron in one place too long...I won't use this block in the quilt since it's all messed up...but if it were to happen again...what's the best way to get it out? And would you treat the block BEFORE sewing it into the quilt?

Thanks so much for any assistance you can give me...I think it's now time for a chocolate break!!!! :| Karen

Notice it says 10 inch block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185238[/ATTACH]

Notice here is says 12 inch block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185239[/ATTACH]

Flower basket
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185240[/ATTACH]

Look closely in the corners where the yellow, pink, white and green come together
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185244[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-185232.jpe   attachment-185233.jpe   attachment-185234.jpe   attachment-185238.jpe