View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 08:00 AM
AtHomeSewing

Monica,

You are not getting the embroidery unit, correct? If not then there is no need for the software.

After I bought my machine, some time back, I wrote a review for another forum, here is part of that review describing what I like about the 630:

My favorite features:

I was looking for infinitely variable Stitch Length and Width. I found that the other Brands I considered each had predetermined width setting increments which I feel are too large. I got exactly what I wanted with the Bernina, total control.

The color touch screen with the stitch animation is a really nice interface. It has been helpful, and enjoyable, to see the stitches on the screen while editing stitch designs.

I am completely impressed with Bernina feet. There is noticeable weight to the feet, the quality can be felt. They are not delicate or fussy, and they do not connect to the sewing machine by way of plastic connections. Bernina connections are metal -- one-piece snap-on. These feet won't need replacing after lots of use. I also got the Foot 57 for piecing and I am thrilled with it, it is the best piecing foot I have ever used.

The accessories box is wonderful. It can stand nicely on its own but it also attaches directly the back of the sewing machine for storage or just snap-and-go for traveling to class. It carries all of the included feet with room for many more. My Bernina walking foot fits perfectly in the small drawer. I got one of the optional magnifying lens sets. My lens slides right under the needle compartments and fits perfectly even though I do leave the plastic sleeve on it. There are also individual bobbin holders and room for other notions and tools. Everything is totally organized; easy to see, easy to use, and easy to take along.

The Artista 630 has a needle threader that actually works and even feels solid. There is a One-Step automatic buttonhole system and it is fun. First, buttons are measured by merely placing right on the touch screen. Adjust the on-screen indicator until it matches the button and that's all that is needed to setup the machine to sew the perfect buttonhole for that button.

It is nice too that is also saves stitches for me. I have several lines of lettering for quilt labels. The 630 saves my custom stitch combinations, even after the machine is turned off. Another feature I like is Pattern End. This stops the machine only after the full completion of a design element or design series rather than just a portion.

There is a Security Program which has already saved me from breaking a needle with the straight stitch plate installed.

I genuinely appreciate that the Bernina's CB hook mechanism comes out completely. This makes a good cleaning easy. Also, there is a maintenance reminder! I have a tendency to get totally involved in my projects, so I believe that the on-screen reminder to Oil the machine will be helpful.

My Favorite Accessories (optional):
The Bernina Stitch Regulator (BSR). On the Artista BSR does zigzag as well as straight stitching. This foot has been a great help in keeping my free motion quilting stitches the same length.

I love the magnifying lens set. The lens attaches onto a small bracket which is already on the machine. The added magnification, along with the bright light in the sewing area have both been helpful for detail work.

I've only covered my favorites aspects of this machine, there are so many other great features: The machine does mirror image of stitch patterns, needle up/down, drops feed dogs, speed control, a wonderful stitch securing function, and adjustable foot presser. There is hands-free system for presser foot lifting. The Artista 630 has a huge selection of stitches and as well as built in alphabets. The machine comes with a sturdy extension table, a soft case, an assortment of 8 feet. There is huge array of optional feet and accessories available as well. Honestly, the Artista 630 leaves very little to be desired. I feel that I made a great choice in this machine.

Hope this helps you remember what a great machine you're getting! :)