View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 12:09 PM
ennael

I just started quilting last fall. I purchased a book called "First Time Quiltmaking, In 6 easy Lessons". Boy - it started me out with the absolute basics which I didn't really need. I have been sewing for 40 some years so I knew how to measure and cut the fabric. I was not really intimidated by the piecing process other than most of the quilts I have seen seem so intricate. There are 3 patterns in the book - blocks and rails. I used stitch in the ditch technique to quilt the 2 baby sized quilts that I have made. It is so easy but now I am ready for something more advanced. Since I also just purchased a walking foot, I plan to make a few blocks to try the foot out. They will be small blocks that I quilt and bind - may end up as hot pads for the table! I also want to make a quilt for my bed but that looked to daunting as I do not have a long arm quilting machine like my sister does.

I went to the Sewing and Stitchery Expo in Puyallup the end of February. I took a Quilt as You Go seminar on "strippy quilts". You make individual strips for your quilt, quilt them on the machine and then put your strips together with sashing. I am now deciding what fabric colors to use.