Old 04-17-2011, 06:31 AM
charity-crafter

Right now, it's roughly sorted by color and 'type' soldier/patriotic fabrics all go together, kids-obvious little boy and girl fabrics vs bigger boy and girl patterns.

My problem-other then it's a complete mess right now-is that it drives me batty when I find the 3-4 perfect fabrics to make a quilt and find that it's only 1/2 a yard-not a fat quarter but WOF.

I need a better way to organize so that fabrics less then a yard are easily distinguished between the yardages I have.

That's why sometimes I just go ahead and cut smaller pieces into square/rectangles or strips as I feel like it...then kick myself a week later because I've found a pattern that that 1/2yd WOF would have worked perfectly if I hadn't already made it strips.

This is only my opinion-
In a way having a large stash is not as productive because I wind up having to search and make due with what I have because I just have so much.

The majority isn't fabric I've bought. It's fabric I've inherited from friends, family, freecycle and the charity quilting group I sew with.

Sometimes I'll keep a fabric for a year and if I haven't figured out what to do with it I'll return it to the group and see if anyone else can do something with it.