View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 07:20 AM
CoyoteQuilts

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Speaking of featherweights (aahhhh), after talking with people at a couple of thrift stores here, they hardly ever get in FWs. So, my question is this...what would be the max you would pay for one from an auction? Assuming, of course, that it was in "like new" or "excellent condition". I always want the best on a sad budget!!
Nana, I was in the same position you were in and I just kept looking at every available for sale site that is on the net. If you are not fussy about the machine you can pick them up for a reasonable price. I got mine off of Craigslist, but it was JUST the machine and it had a bobbin case. I then went shopping for the bobbins, electrical cord and a case. I have been collecting feet for years and already had the extra feet and somewhere I had picked up a manual. I got the machine for 100, electrical cord was 20, and I can't remember what the bobbins cost, but I think around 5-10 with shipping, wheeled case for 25. So all told I have a 1941 Singer Featherweight that sews like a dream for about 150 dollars, which is cheap. So keep an open mind if you really want one and start stalking the net. There is one out there somewhere that has your name on it!