View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 08:53 AM
kriscraft99

oh I am in love with the 2nd one! that is beautiful :)
Originally Posted by justflyingin
Here are two tops I've finished recently. I've started a war on my scraps since trying to organize my room, folding fabrics and putting them in bins.

So, here are two of some of my recently finished tops. I got the ideas from you all here. Thanks so much. I'm working on another one like the one with the red border, only I'm going to twist the squares so every other one be a different direction and may use either black or bright green as the cohesive unit.

I found the huge one (the 1.5" strips) to be actually faster than the other one as all I did was sit down and sew strips together. It did take a couple/few days of free time to do that, but I did manage to use up a lot of 1.5" strips that way. Then, I cut them into 5.5" lengths. The 3" border was created at the same time as the other blocks.

The scrappy border on the blue quilt was created using adding machine (I think mine was credit card printouts) paper tape and sewing misc. shaped pieces to it til I had enough to go around the border. I was pleased with how they turned out. I use the crazy border on the crazy squares and the organized 1.5" border on the 1.5" quilt.

So, thanks for the great ideas for using up scraps and helping me get my sewing room more under control.

I am planning on making a scrappy log cabin with 1.5" strips and several scrappy irish chain quilts. I still have a bag full of 2.5" squares (6-8000) I cut out...maybe a scrappy 9 patch? I have many blocks already cut out--this is just to use up the misc. stuff stuffed into big plastic bags that isn't organized. A lot of it is leftover from the backs of charity quilts.