View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Airwick156

My husband and I have 2 small dogs. One is a poodle 7yrs old named PoohJoe and the other one is a long haired chihuahua 9 years old named Woofie.

These dogs are "spoiled to the core" and I mean spoiled. They are companion dogs for my husband as he is a disabled Veteran.

For as long as we have had these dogs, Woofie since he was about 3 months old and we adopted the poodle from a vets office when he was a couple years old he was abandoned at a vets office after the owner took him and dropped him off and she died while right after that.

So, these dogs get "treats" for going potty outside because Poohjoe is so stubborn that when we "have" to leave the dogs at home, doesn't matter if he went potty 2 seconds before we left and were only gone 30 minutes that boy will potty in my house EVERY TIME. The vet says its because he is mad at us for leaving him at home and because he has seperation anxiety and is willing to give us some pills to give him so the anxiety isn't too bad, but my husband says no to that. He doesn't want to give them to him and then have the dog lethargic for hours and I do u nderstand that. So we had started taking him out to potty before we left...have him come in...give them a treat and play with them for a few minutes and then tell him we will be right back and if you "dont" potty in mommy's house you can have another treat when we get back. In that dogs entire life we have probably had to leave him home I would say ten times total. We take them everywhere. They crawl in the van, hop in hubbys lap and they stay there till we get where were going. Just as happy as can be. We can even just drive around our apartment complex and they are as happy as can be because they went for a ride.
So we have always fed them Kibbles and Bits dog food their entire lives. We have always gotten the blue bag. Well the other day we went to get dog food and we saw that they had another flavor of kibbles and bits so we bought it to see if they would like it. They sometimes need to have a different flavor dog food too. Well my husband gives the dogs TOO MANY REAL DOGGIE treats and I complain to him not to give them so many. The dogs even will "pretend" to go potty outside because they know they will get a treat. So.....I opened the bag put a big handful in a bowl and called the dogs and said treat...they know that word and I gave them the dog food as a treat. I sat here and HAND fed those dogs Dog food!!! And they thought it was a treat. Bet they were in dog heaven since I gave them a ton of treats one by one. Wonder if they will scarf it all down once we start giving it to them as their food and not treats. LOL