View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 02:47 PM
DogHouseMom

Bargello is much easier than a Lone Star. For one thing, no bias cuts, no triangles, just a bunch of squares and rectangles. The "twisted" Bargello are a bit trickier and depending on the complexity of the pattern you may or may not "tube" the strips. The one in my avatar was not tubed.

A few tips for you.

1) When you choose colors bring a color viewer with you. If your choosing red fabric you'll need a blue or green viewer. All other colors use a red viewer. The viewer will "remove" the color and show the "value" instead so you have light to dark. I have a red "Ruby Beholder" that I use and my blue is a wine glass that happened to be the right color! You could also use a few pieces of easter basket colored celophane sandwiched together to make a color viewer.

2) When choosing fabric, select fabric that doesn't have drastic color/value changes within itself on a large scale. For example: a 5" purple flower on a cream background with 3" of uninterrupted background color showing would be a bad choice. Some of your bargello blocks will be small enough so that only cream is showing and some will have only purple showing. If the purple flowers were very close together, or very small, you would be OK though. I've made several Bargello now (5? 6?) and each time it can take me literally days to pick just the right fabric in just the right order. I leave them laid out on my table and just look at them a little every day in different lighting.

3) When you sew the seams together (for both the 'color strips' and the 'bargello strips') sew one seam up and the next seam down. I usually leave the tail of thread attached to the beginning of the strip so I know which way I sewed the last row then start in the opposite direction for the next row.

I'm totally in love with Bargello and they are a lot easier than they look.

Good luck and have fun!!