View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 03:24 PM
genafan201

writerwomen, I had to laugh at your post, as I have my own "freeway incident".

Probably about 1965, driving from FL to MI in a stationwagon...Dad driving, Mom in the front passenger, me (the oldest) and my youngest sister in the middle seat, my other sister and baby brother in the back (and like you, no seatbelts)...anyway, we stopped for dinner, and then everybody piled back into the car...The sister next to me didn't realize it right away, but her blanket got stuck in to door. We took off, and about the time Dad got to cruising speed, sister wanted to cover with her blanket, which of course she couldn't do cause it was stuck in the door. So, what does she do driving down the interstate at 65 MPH...OPENS THE DOOR!!! Gosh at the scrambling that went on in that car...Mom fairly flew over the front seat, I grabbed sis' foot and held on for all I was worth, and the sister in the back grabbed sis's hair and pulled as hard as she could. Little sis was screaming and yelling (mostly cause her head hurt from the other sister pulling her hair), and finally Dad got the car pulled over and stopped.

We all got out for a minute, and little sis says "What was that all about? All I wanted was to lay down..."

I was only 7 at the time, sister in the back was 6, and sister trying to get out the door only 3. Sort of funny now thinking back, but of course at the time it was about an hour before Dad could start driving again..

Any my BEST childhood memories??? Playing cowboys and indians with the kids in our neighborhood, roller skating, sitting on the porch with grandma waving at all the cars going by, and pretending our mini-bike was a horse that I was riding through "The Big Valley" with Heath :lol: had just a bit of a crush on him...