Old 04-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Quiltgranny

Hi Everyone,

I've got a 301a foot controller question or two. Recently acquired a 301a shortbed with the old bakelite foot controller which is driving me crazy. Don't know if this is operator error or what, since I'm new to this type of foot controller.

When depressing on the button on the left of the foot controller, my machine usually hesitates before starting to sew - from a slight hesitation to I need to use the hand wheel to start her. I know this is not normal from what I've read, that being that she should just take off running, no hesitation or hand wheel assistance required.

Also, the foot controller button seems kinda 'sticky', in that it takes more pressure from my foot to depress, and even that varies when using. Often, she'll just start racing and nearly eats my fingers off if I'm not careful. So, getting any speed control is difficult at best.

Sound like it's time for a new foot controller or what? If so, what type would you recommend? I read somewhere that the clamshell type was great for FMQ, which I plan to do as well as regular sewing/quilting. Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks in advance,