View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Mplsgirl

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
grammo, hope you don't mind if I reply to one of your repliers, lol?

Joanne wrote:
.....I also have a grandson with autism and people see a perfectly healthy boy and think we just need to discipline him more. They don't understand he is handicapped. .......Their 'other' grandmother keeps saying 'They'll snap out of it.' She just doesn't get it.

I am related, both by blood, and by marriages, to ppl with a.d.d. It is another frontier that needs much more attention, so I feel for you.
I know what it's like to get professional help and do tons of research etc. There is no, "snapping out of it". That's a pipe dream that any one would smoke if it cured these things! just being a little facetious about something very, very real.
There are 11 different kinds of attention deficit disorder and some of the symptoms look like other stuff. I don't believe a pediatrician or family doctor should ever diagnosed these children. Too many mistakes are made, but more than that, these families need counseling and training to deal with all that goes with these problems. I could go on and on, but I'm putting down the mike now...just wanted to say...we have a lot of disabilities in this country and a lot of cynics, some are really mean and critical, and others just don't understand but don't mean any real harm. Either way, it's the sufferers that get the short end of the stick. i rejoice with anyone that can get real help, even if it can only be monetary. It does help with the tools you need to cope with stuff. I'm done, lol. :wink:
Thank you. Good work. More of these messages are needed, and yours was wonderful.