Old 04-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Bubblegum0077

I was wondering if muslin makes a better backing for a quilt instead of other quilting fabric. It seems selecting muslin isn't as easy as it sounds since there are several widths to consider, thickness in terms of thinner and lighter or heavier and stiffer, and most of all the color; that of which white, cream and black come in more shades than you would think. Can anyone tell me if the thicker muslin actually softens during use or is it used for other purposes than quilting? And would it make for a longer lasting backing? I would think so, but when I feel the different qualities, I lean towards the one in between and that doesn't alway come in very wide widths. Am I making too much of this?

I know that when I begin the process of choosing my next project the pattern is as important as the fabric I choose and that means quality and comfort over cheap and scratchy. I want it to last and most importantly the receipient, I hope, will like it. So a lot of thought goes into each one; and that includes the batting as well. I have used a poly blend batting and I must say, that it is stiffer than the cotton/poly blend. Maybe even the brands have something to do with draping, weight and stiffness. Can anyone give me a quick rundown on what is the best batting to choose when making a quilt? I do know that it depends on whom it's for and baby quilts are best made with a cotton batting. I learned about a year ago that batting comes in black! That info would have been good to know when I made my daughter's black and purple quilt and used a cream colored batting. Yes, it punctured thru and.....I will leave it at that. Oh, pic attached.

To date, I don't think I've ever used muslin as a backing on any of my quilts. It seems that fabric with a print is more forgiving during the quiliting process and errors are not as visible.

We are a quilt family and every bed in my home has at least two quilts on the bed. One to cover the bed and one folded at the foot to use as a cover when napping. Then there are the ones that lie over the top of the couch and love seat and over a chair or two, a few in the cars to block the sun for a sleeping child and to transport an injured pet. If I were to guess I would say there are about 30 assorted quilts (I didn't make all 30) being used at some point in which we rotate by weight and season. I think someone on the board actually posted a question as to how many quilts we have in our home.

Can one ever tire of quilts? I think not. It's in my blood and as long as I need something to do, I will continue making quilts. And by the way, there are about 3 quilts in the making to date.

There are 1,172 two inch squares in this quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]186632[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-186626.jpe