Old 04-19-2011, 08:44 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl

hobbykat1955, if you loosened the clutch to disengage the needle your needle should not be going up and down. I have found with several of my vintage machines - even after cleaning them and oiling them - that this does happen the first time a wind a bobbin. What I do at that point is physically hold the needle still - making sure your clutch is loosened so the needle should not be moving. This will usually fix the problem as these machine sometimes sit so long that they are more or less frozen in place. When you do the winding while holding the needle still it seems to break them loose so they will work from then on like they are suppose to work with the needle quiet while the bobbin is being wound. Hope this helps.

Nancy

What mine are doing is that I can initially loosen the clutch, start winding the bobbin, and then the clutch tightens itself back up, of course then engaging the needle & it starts going up & down.
Yep, that is exactly what has happened to me several times. I just keep loosening the clutch and holding the needle bar so it doesn't move. It may take a few attempts and lots of oil, but I have had success everytime with this technique. Most of the older machines have this problem because it has been years since they had to wind a bobbin.

Nancy