View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 01:54 PM
JoanneS

Like many autistic people, both of my autistic grandsons also have ADHD, but it is controlled with meds. I know these meds are controversial, but without them, the boys simply cannot function. In their case, the meds have enabled them to be calm enough to make progress in school - the younger one enough to be mainstreamed into 1st grade next year - the older one to finally start sleeping through the night and put verbal sentences together at age 9.

Autism is a spectrum of 'symptoms' (for lack of a better word). Special ed teachers are angels, and school districts with good programs are hard to find. The economy is making it more difficult, too. Thank goodness, Congress passed legislation specifically to aid people with autism last year BEFORE the economic downturn. If I were younger, I would get an MA in Special Ed. As it is, I'm learning a lot by spending time with my grandsons - though I don't get to do that often enough. Soon, they'll be moving, so they'll be just a 6 hour drive from me. Hooray! I foresee more road trips and less quilting starting this summer - assuming they sell their house and move.