Old 04-20-2011, 03:35 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by Vintage Bicycle
Hi All,

I am in the process of researching new sewing machines - and what a process it is!!! I'm sure you all have been asked these types of questions SO many times that you're tired of it, but I need help!

Okay - I'm looking at Pfaff, Bernina, and possibly Elna... I've heard wonderful things about Pfaff, so that's the direction I'm leaning (Berninas are SO expensive and I've heard mixed reviews on Elnas)...

*** I just realized that I forgot to add Husqvarnas to the list - I am looking into those too, but I don't know much about their machines and which model would be best for quilting***

If you could spare a moment, let me know:

1.) What machine you have
2.) What you love about it
3.) What you don't love about it
4.) How much you paid for it (I know this may be a rude question, but I just really need to know what a "good deal"is on these machines... I walk into a dealer and feel like I'm a sitting duck!!!)

I feel like you are all the best people possible to ask - quilters! I will be using the machine primarily for quilting. Large throat space and smooth, even FMQing are a couple of things that are important to me when quilting.

THANK YOU so much (in advance) for your help and advice :D
I have a Singer. I love it! It is simple - it has embroidery on it - not complicated - easy to keep clean - Mine is the Singer Precision - 7444. I got it on sale at Target - I paid $214.49. I have had it for almost two years now, have made about twelve quilts, different sizes - sewed other stuff - am very happy with it. There is nothing I don't like about it. It does what I tell it to do and the rest is up to me. My other sewing machine was a used White that my husband got me for our first anniversary 50 years ago, so I cannot complain about either of my machines. Specially the White. I can still use it, it is just slower than the Singer. We don't have the money to fork out on a machine that will basically do the same thing my Singer does. I bought a case for it and couldn't be more pleased. Hope that helps! Edie