Old 04-20-2011, 05:11 AM
Maia B

I have a few :) machines. My queens of sewing room are my Baby Lock Quest Plus and Bernina 440 QE. I don't know that I could choose between them. The BLQP has a 9" harp, Pfaff-esque IDT (PRICELESS!), plenty if light, super markings on the throat plate and bed, good lighting, a large thread stand with a thread guide like a serger for two cones, and many gorgeous stitches. I've found it super quiet, easy/intuitive to use, and trouble free except the occasional thread tangle when starting seams, likely due to operator error. The stitches are 8mm wide max. The needle thread doesn't always work on the first try, and a few more, well-placed, manual thread cutters would be nice. I paid $1300 new with some extras and a cheapo trade-in. The 440 is lighter but still solid, powerful, precise. The feet are engineering masterpieces. Easy to change and so useful. They do so much of the work of sewing for me. The foot control is precise and responsive, no extra stitches. It has 4 manual thread cutters right where you need 'em. The throat plate changes without any screws :)! Turning tight curves is easy with 5.5mm feed dogs. Needle threader a but better. Love the accessories box. It's a little less intuitive to learn, for me, but then I haven't taken a class yet. I paid $1900 used :). Both machines have the indespensible knee lift, sewing w/o the foot control, programmable needle up/down, and gorgeous stitches. I'd higly recommend either, and as the new Babylock Serenade and Bernina 5 series come out, used machines should be available as bargains. Good luck!