Old 04-20-2011, 05:23 AM
jbrother

I have a Bernina 730E and I love it. It is easy to set up and use, you have unlimited feet, the walking foot is wonderful and it does excellent FMQ as well as embroidery. It is a workhorse sewing machine, and I love the stitch regulator -- gives you perfect, even stitching no matter how fast or slow you sew. The Free Hand System, with the knee lever, allows you to raise and lower the presser foot without using your hands, which is helpful when you're trying to hold a quilt in place. I bought mine 6-7 years ago, and I think I paid between $5000-6000. Bernina has great financing plans like 24 months, no interest, for example (I don't know what they are offering now). If you need a really wide throat, I would suggest the 830, which I think is running about $10K, if you are a heavy user. This is not a machine for the occasional sewer. Service is easy to get on Berninas, and I've never had issues with service -- the technicians are all well schooled and know how to get you back in business quickly.