Old 04-20-2011, 06:54 AM
RugosaB

Originally Posted by Mkotch
"Test drive" all machines available and choose the one that seems to fit your sewing style. Consider service, too, because if something goes wrong you won't want to drive miles and miles to take it in/pick it up. That said, I ended up with a Viking Rose about 10 years ago and I love it although I rarely use the embroidery features. I Also have a Viking 100 that is 22 years old that's a good backup. We now have a reliable dealer of other brands available locally but didn't when I bought the Rose. Although many love their Berninas, we don't have a local dealer and I didn't like the way I couldn't rely on it to continue in a straight line toward the end of every seam.
I agree with this, find out where the local dealer is. The Viking guy I went to stopped being where he was, I had to go maybe another half hour to a guy, who knew about the old guy I bought from.

I bought a Viking/Husqvarna 630 back in the mid 80's for $800. I suppose it could have been high for that era, but I bought it because my Singer, which I bought new in 1979, wore out. Seems I used it so much the plastic in it wore out, so I bought something that was all metal

I have always been very happy with it, it does a few fancy stitiches, but the basics it does well, and that's what I like. I like anything I do to show MY technique and talent, I just wanted a machine that wouldn't fail me on the basics