View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 08:47 AM
justwannaquilt

I don't want to scare anyone away from taking their card...HOWEVER... two weeks ago I had a call from Visa Fraud Protection. They were calling because of charges made in Virgina. I live in Missouri. The woman on the other line said that their are these devices that theives carry around and they get close enough to you and this device picks up the info off of the magnetic strip on your card. I NEVER EVER carry a purse. I never have. I always thought I was "safer" keeping my card in my pocket on my body! NOPE that isn't even safe any more. I still have the card that was used. They stole the info off of it not the card! She said it doesn't matter where the card is it could be in the bottom of your purse, the bottom of your shoe. if the device they have can get within range of the magnetic strip it can read it! ANYWHERE!

If it were ME going. I would make sure that whatever card you choose to take with you is a card that you are not going to have trouble getting the charges reversed in case something WERE to happen! I know some "home town" banks are not as good about putting the money back into your account as some bigger banks are. my neighbor lost more than a 1000 dollars out of her account over christmas because she banked at a "home town" bank and they did not have a fraud protection that gave her the money back such as a "$0 Liability Guarantee"

Good luck and stay safe ladies. Even at home!