Old 04-20-2011, 09:47 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

There is a tracing paper on the market for quilt marking. It is called transdoodle and makes a chalk mark on the quilt. I transfer it using a stylus rather than a tracing wheel. The marks rub out very easily though so I find I have to go over them with something else more durable if the quilt is being handled alot like in DSM FMQ or HQ in a lap hoop or just mark as I go. But even with mark as I go, I am going over the marks again with my F&P Mechanical pencil. I have heard that Saral paper works just as well but have not yet got around to ordering any to try. Saral is the transfer paper often used in tole folkart painting. It comes in white and graphite. The cost is MUCH less than transdoodle.

I recently got another type of transfer paper on line but have not tested it yet either but I did notice it is much heavier than the transdoodle and the sheets are a much smaller size than transdoodle. This paper was also marketed to quilters so I am hoping it will work ok. It came in white, blue, yellow, pink.

I think the most important thing besides testing is to make sure the transfer paper has no wax content.