Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Auntie B

Hi Vintage Bicycle, I work in a Sewing Machine Sales/Quilt Shop. The Quilters ALL love the Pfaff Expression 4.0. Too many features to list them all. They sell in our store for $2,200 Canadian. Some of the features are, Automatic Pressure Foot lift, 2 free motion modes, Large throat space 10 - 12 ", Dual lights, thread snips, Tie-off, Electronic thread tension, 9 mm stitches, tons of fancy stitches. The Janome machines are popular with the ladies that do fashion, home decor, upholstery, denim etc. The Pfaff Expressions 2.0 and 3.0 are being discontinued, and replaced with a machine that has a smaller throat space, not too sure how well those models are going to sell with the quilters. Check out your local supplier and find out about warranty and have some demos done on different machines. The shop that I work in warranties the new machines that it sells for " 3 Years" That is hard to beat, but I tell you, quilters are very happy. Our city has no dealer for brother or Husquarvarna, (spelling ???) and the local seller, Walmart, leaves the buyer on his own to get any kind of service after 90 days. Buyers are left with huge shipping bills, to get their machines repaired and are also left to pay shipping to have the machine returned to them. Make sure your local repair/ warranty shop takes care of all makes and models. I notice that many of the machines are in the shop lots, they have thrown out of timing in their machines. If your machine is not under warranty, it is a $75 dollar touch. Don't know if the newer models with lots of plastic parts are easier to throw the timing out or if the old machines were just built to last. All I know is that I have a 35 year old Kenmore that has never had the timing thrown out !!!!!! and has only been in the shop once in 35 years. It is just a workhorse, and quilts beautifully. Hope this has been helpful. Auntie B in Saskatchewan.