Thread: Folded Border
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 11:13 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS
I really doubt any quilt pattern would refer to binding as a "folded border." ;-)

They're pretty consistent (and useless) in the wording -"quilt as desired. Apply binding." :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I agree. I think, like you, it is the same as piping only without any cording inserted like piping usually has, maybe that is the difference, piping is stuffed like trapunto and a folded border is just a flap of fabric.

I have made one quilt that had an inner folded border like that. I don't remember what the book called it, if they called it folded border. I do remember it had a special instruction by the fabric requirments for it that notated it was actually a flap of folded fabric (folded wrong sides together) and inserted when adding the outer border. I liked the look of it and would do it again.

And unlike the previous poster, my folded border the instructions had me press towards the CENTER of the quilt not the outside. It all depends on what look you want. For my quilt, which was a lone star with a pieced border, having the folded border go towards the center looked much better than having it go toward the outer border.