View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 12:46 PM
cctx.

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Don't forget to use 5/8" seam allowance as opposed to 1/4" we use for quilting!

I have made clothes before and it's always been recommended not to use something ready made to make a pattern from it. Patterns go on sale at JoAnn's all the time and I think it would be a good idea to use a pattern, especially if you haven't made clothes in a long time.
I have made duplicate Jersey blouses for a customer using an old blouse that she provided for me. It was hectic taking that old blouse apart because of the serging seams sewn on it. After I took that old blouse apart (and it was about 20 something years old ~the blouse) I then used tailors chalk to trace out the pattern sleeves, the front, back, and the front yoke.
She wanted Jersey, and instead of the jersey she bought me some cheap polyester from Joann's, I had to go out and look for some good Jersey at Han cocks and Hobby Lobby to complete her blouse.

The fabric she brought was made into a practice blouse, plus I already had some pretty Jersey knit which I also improvised to amend for her cheap fabric.

So after all this has been said and done, she had (3) blouses made; (1) using her cheap fabric, (2) my Jersey print, and (3) the fabric that I had to purchase to make the color she wanted. For all this trouble, she was satisfied with the look, style, and fit of all three blouses and the replicated style; she gladly paid me $40.00 and requested another Jersey blouse in Eggplant.

If possible, take photo shots of the blouse you're taking apart so you know exactly where the parts are supposed to fit back. Like puzzle pieces. This helps tremendously when you take photos before and after and this is what I usually do.
Just wanted to share this experience.