Old 04-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Rhonda
Power Poster

My aunt and uncle raised shelties. I had a sheltie when I was a kid. My dad called her Midget and he used to feed her cheese in the middle of the night and tell mom it was Midget's fault the cheese disappeared! LOL

I have Molly's number for the most part. She doesn't mess in the house. There are accidents at times when she has a diarhea for whatever reason but she will whine in a panic when she has to go til you let her outside. She is a very smart dog just incredibly stubborn! But she is the sweetest thing. She is so patient with the little ones.

I used to lay on top of her to take the dominant role but it didn't do any good. I have found I have to treat her like a kid and I stare at her eye to eye and tell her what I want her to do. She takes a few mins to give in to me every single time but she gives in.

she has learned to walk on a lead. She will give when I tell her to. I teach my dogs to put their toy in my hand. I don't reach out for it they have drop it in my hand. She is really good about that. She knows if she can have it back I will give it to her. I also teach my dogs to have a soft mouth when taking a treat so they don't scrape a little hand with their teeth when taking a treat from the kids.
I also train them to sit and look at me with head up and I put the treats on the floor at their feet and they are not allowed to look down til I say ok. They both do this well.

It is an exercise in control. Tho Molly still needs to work on the stay command! LOL She does good for a few minutes but I usually require my dogs to stay even when I go in the other room and they can't see me. but that seems to be beyond Molly's ability. She is like a kid with ADHD. She has little self control.