Old 04-22-2011, 04:36 AM
emmah

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Post is not about machines but vintage quilt tops. I was surprised today poking about in a "vintage resale " shop. Came across some unfinshed quilt tops. One of them was old, ragged, stained and tattered but also $150 more than the other top there which was in much better shape. However, the old, tatterd top had been hand pieced and the other one was machine pieced which apparently made all the difference in the prices. While both were beautiful, the one with fewer condition issues is the one I'd have bought if I had been buying one. I assume this would also have applied to any tops machine pieced on a vintage treadle, too.
Wow, those prices seem way out of line. I find vintage tops at yard sales for about $20 or less, and got a fantastic mint condition triangles hand pieced at an antique shop for $45. Even on ebay your local prices would seem high. I hand quilted a yard sale "Ocean Waves" quilt top that was from the late 1800's, bought for $8 at a yard sale, after adding a border of similar fabric. I really like how it turned out.