View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 10:16 AM
roselady

Originally Posted by JNCT14
Originally Posted by roselady
I haven't done traditional hand piecing a lot, I love english paper piecing, hand applique (not all applique has tiny pieces, but even if it does, there are some tricks that make it very portable), hand embroidery and hand quilting. All very relaxing, and nice when you want to be out with family rather than attatched to a machine. I would like to do some traditional hand piecing again, I've kind of stayed away from it because I don't remember how to do the intersections, it is different than on the machine, you don't sew through them. I know I could figure it out if I took the time. It also takes a little more time to cut and mark the seamline, Jinny Beyer does it by "eye" but I don't know if I would trust myself to do that.
Hey Roselady - what are the tricks? I love applique, but a lot of my pieces are very small and I am always stuffing bits into ziplock bags to take with me to DD's guitar lessons, basketball games, etc.....everything always falls out...I use the wax paper method for the pieces and try not to cut them out until I need them but still a pain even so....
Hi,
One way that you can keep the pieces under control is to iron them onto a sheet of freezer paper, or several small sheets that you can then put in a zip lock bag. Then just peel off the piece you want to sew down. You can also thread them onto an unknotted thread in the order you would sew them down, and just pull one off at a time.