Old 04-22-2011, 04:39 PM
mpeters1200

So I decided that it took me weeks to get through the first 100 pages, that I'd have all my machines up and running before I "caught up".

While I'm on this site all the time and certainly not reallynew to quilting, I am new to vintage machines.

I inherited my mom's FW. I'm fairly certain it's a 221 and I don't know anything about it except it needs a bobbin casing and I recently found out that the safety of my husband's garage might save it from getting lost, but won't save it from the elements. I hope to have her out of the garage when we swap out all the winter/summer clothes here soon.

I was recently in the market for a machine with a bigger throat. After looking at all the new machines and their horrid prices...I saw a Singer 66. But I don't know a THING about these old machines. I like that she doesn't have a computer and I can put the quilting attachments on her like a walking foot and darning foot. That is probably all I'd use her for. Once I have my FW up and running, I'll probably use the smaller one for piecing and the bigger one for quilting...but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I haven't bought her yet, but have an appointment to get her on Tuesday along with some basic lessons on her use. Is there somewhere I can go to learn more about the 66? I see through threads on this site and trying to google a 66 that there is a dash and another number after the dash. Are these all different models? The 201 looks really similar to what I was originally looking for. Aren't the 201's a lot heavier than the 66?

I am just a SUPER beginner when it comes to vintage machines. I've seen so many of Billy's posts, and now Charlee's too thanks to this thread....I'm looking forward to learning more about this...especially when I can get mom's up and running.