Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Originally Posted by Lostn51
The 66 is a wonderful machine and I love them. I have 3 or 4 of them in different forms, Treadle, Handcrank, Back clamp, and a "FrankenSinger" a seriously cobbled together 66 from several different models.

The 66 is a lot lighter and a little less complicated to tear into but both machines are really smooth sewing and if you can find a 66 from the 30's they are sooooo smooth. The last 2 that I played with were super smooth running.

Billy
Are the different forms what the two digits after the dash mean? The one I'm getting is motor operated. Is that what a back clamp is called? What started my interest was the large throat plate....the fact that it's much simpler than some of the computerized ones available now, and it's inexpensive price is what sold me.

Billy, you seriously saved me a lot a few weeks back. I pm'd you about my Janome misbehaving. Turns out it was the foot pedal and she's back up and running now. All I had to replace was the pedal. I really love her for small projects and can take her to club meetings and such. Hopefully, I'll have mom's FW out soon and can get her the part she needs. I won't know what to do with 3 working machines in my tiny apartment, but I'll have as many machines as I have children, so that'll be my cutoff---for now. I can't wait for the weather to get warm enough we can tackle that garage!
The 66-1 and 66-3 are the back clamp versions (66-3 is a hand crank) and the 66-18 is the one with the back tack feature. The sub models are just little improvements that were made for that run. Sometimes its easy to see the difference and sometimes it was very minute. To this day I still do not know all of the sub models.

Billy
Here is what I have found.

66-1 Egyptian 1902 -06 Scroll 1906 - 23 back clamping treadle
66-3 HC Back clamping
66-4, 1923- side clamping treadle
66-5 side clamping HC
66-6 1921-31 side clamping electric
66-8 side clamping
66-13 side clamping 1920 +
66-14 side clamping with reverse
66-14 thru 66-24 reverse and side clamping

66 was made between 1902 and 1956

This is what I found out when I was doing all the research on side clamping versus back clamping 66's.

Nancy
This is where I got this information.

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...sses-1-99.html