View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 09:57 PM
ragamuffin

My 92 yr. old Mother passed in 2004. She had attended country auctions as a child and collected glassware all her life. She did not "dispose" of anything before she died because she said she wanted to enjoy all her things while she could; but after she died, I was in charge of the estate. Mom had 8 grandchildren and I gave each one a quilt. One boy exchanged the quilt for the cedar chest but later came back to buy the quilt. I had an estate sale for 3 days and so many people came looking for "something to remember her by". I had 4 brothers to share with but I was willed the personal things which I still have and may make collages out of her hankies, Dad's personal rings and stuff and give them as gifts next Christmas or the next. I had my own company and was doing this for years for others who pleaded with me to do it because they did not want anything from their family estates. Those with money feel like it is old stuff and can't be bothered with it. To me it is treasures and I respected every item. I researched every item I could not identify and in the process learned a lot of info about paintings, leather bound books, first editions, etc. I enjoy it trememdously as did my Mother and Father all their lives. It is part of our lives and yes, we are only the keepers of it for a while and then it can be passed on to someone else to be the "keeper". I never felt weird about any of it. It is just apart of our lives and if we can enjoy a book, a quilt, a painting, or just a postcard from our hometown, let's enjoy it for a time.