View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 12:01 AM
cabinfever

Originally Posted by fayzer
How on earth do you print a photo that big in 4 pieces? I've only seen copier size prints on fabric. This is a beautiful quilt.
When I was at the Pacific International Quilt Festival, in Oct. 2010, I met the author of "Secrets of Digital Quilting: From Camera to Quilt: 8 Projects; 25 Techniques". I intend to get their book, if it's not at my local library. They displayed many quilts at their booth, most had a large center area photo all printed on one piece of fabric. They use a large format printer, and even are willing to print photos for others for some fee; haven't had time to look into it further. I wanted to do a high quality print of my grandma with siblings as young children in the early 1900's as the centerpiece; with their family farm as another photo.
Prices of "wide format" printers have come down a lot, many under $200, some as low as $125. Most print out @ maximum size of 13" x 19", but a few will print out from a roll, so would be longer than 19". That's pretty good for someone who doesn't want to put pieces together. I do not (yet) know whether you would need a certain ink for colorfastness...which may dictate which printer is best for a quilters applications.

This "barn quilt" has renewed my interest in preserving important photos in cloth; thanks <debcavan>, your story & quilt are inspirational. After my son graduates in a month & things slow down...I plan to learn more & give it a try.