View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 12:54 AM
cabinfever

Originally Posted by kellen46
used dryer sheets are no more flammable than cotton fabric. If they would go poof at any high temperature then they would not work in a dryer. Try burning a scrap of cotton and a scrap of dryer sheet, the difference is that the cotton burns to an ash, the sheet to a black glop as it is a synthetic. If you burn a scrap of polyester fabric and a dryer sheet they act the same. If you are hanging out close to an open flame of course be careful, because any fabric will go poof if you put a flame to it.
Good points you make here.
My DH works as a high voltage electrician for 25+ years & it is against the rules for him to wear anything but cotton at work. Because...when polyester gets heated it will melt into your skin...fuses, & makes it more difficult to treat burns, is what we are told. I realize this may be off-topic, but I guess it's the fact that kids are less likely to actually "stop, drop, & roll" that they recommend they sleep in polyester, not cotton.
Ok, I just had to know more... so here are some facts: "Wool and silk are protein fibers and are difficult to ignite. They may self-extinguish, but this varies depending on the closeness of the weave. Sometimes, blends are more dangerous than either fiber. For example, fabrics of 50 percent cotton and 50 percent polyester tend to burn longer than a similar fabric of either cotton or polyester." http://www.extension.iastate.edu/pub...ons/ncr174.pdf

So...keep a few tightly woven 100% WOOL blankets around, as part of your fire safety/drill. I guess it's not really off-topic, if we are all making quilts to cover our precious friends & family. Good to think about what we are putting in to them.