View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 08:21 AM
Homemother

I'm tackling the quilt design Twist Around the Garden in which I have reconfigured the blocks to a smaller design and they should end up 6" square. I'm using scraps to practice, so my pretty fabric is still in pristine shape. :-) Since I'm rather new at this block construction, I need some input on how to make the blocks square.

If the blocks are all slightly under 6", should I make them all the same size at say, 5 3/4" or 5 1'2" or should I cut everything a smidgen bigger and square up all the blocks at 6"? If I square them, I'd have to take a little off each side in order to make the points meet when sewing the blocks together, is this correct? Or, is acceptable to have the blocks off a little and not worry about the minute details and look at the overall effect of the quilt? Or, should I make the seams a little smaller to accommodate the size? Gee....I need to make a decision as to which is the best way to go.

One or two or you must have experienced this at least once in your quilting experience! :lol: :roll: :lol:

Thanks!