Old 04-23-2011, 09:43 AM
insgal62

Originally Posted by cabinfever
Great for both of you!
I have tried to sew with my daughter's Girl Scout troop, and although we have done fleece projects, most seem less than enthused about doing anything with fabric. I have offered to let them pick anything to make & fabric @ the store. One said "I don't like fabric"...not sure what she means by that, as she wears it everyday;) My daughter sews, but none of her friends sew, nor do the mothers...that includes mending. Most of them are more concerned with fashion with the "right labels". There seems to be no interest by the mothers to have their daughters learn anything about sewing either. One mother said "you are so quaint"! I think she meant old or old-fashioned, which I accept as a compliment.
I am jealous that you have such a great little girl to teach & share with. My daughter doesn't like to let her friends know she sews, as she does not want to be called quaint...LOL. I have given my daughter a good used sewing machine of her own just within the last few weeks & hope she will dabble a bit with it again, maybe when no one is looking;)
Yeah, kids are a little weird sometimes. It seems to me that they either LOVE it or they don't. Madison's mom can't sew on a button or fix a hem. She has me fix everything. It's not that she's not capable, because she is the most competent and go getter kind of person I have ever met. Sewing is just not her thing. I learned to sew in a high school home economics class and I loved it from day one. Used to make a lot of clothes for many years. Then when my husband was relocated for a new job 4 hours from where we lived and I didn't know anyone, I decided that I was finally going to take those quilting classes I had always wanted to take. I was hooked from day one and have never looked back!! Since then I am constantly looking for quilting buddies and they aren't all that easy to find in a small town. So, I don't care if she's only 10 and I'm 48! I'll hang out with her and sew any day!!