View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 11:26 AM
schwanton

Originally Posted by SandraG
I bid on a Singer 301 on Ebay. It arrived in the mail today. A very pretty cream and tan machine. Seems to run good and looks great. However, it smells musty. I've had it on the porch all day but it still smells. On Ebay, it said it had been cleaned and serviced. They must have held their noses when they cleaned it or couldn't smell. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the smell. The case and the foot pedal all smell. Should I leave it open or put a box of baking soda in the case and close it for a few days. I'm open to suggestions. Just don't want to mess up the machine. Thanks
I won a featherweight on E-bay and it smelled so musty, my hands would smell if I even touched it. I tried the dryer cloths and they did not work. I cleaned the machine with Goop Hand cleaner and the machine seems pretty good, just a very faint odor. I heard if you freeze musty things, the smell would leave. The foot pedal has been in my freezer for a few days. I just checked, the smell is dissipating. I have access to an industrial freezer at work - I am bringing the case to work to give it a shot. I wonder if we bought from the same seller. She insisted it did not smell and I should have asked before I bought it. Funny, I thought of asking questions like does it work, are all the parts there, etc. - never does it smell.