View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 01:06 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Grambi
Has anyone used a fusible web on the back and if so, what kind. I would think that it would have to be very light, like maybe Mistyfuse (which is kind of high dollar). Maybe there is another, less expensive kind.

Also have any of you ever used the silk with cotton. Grann of 6 used silk velvet on the back. I wonder if the velvet could be used in piecing on the front.

Just brainstorming here.
I used Steam-a-Seam Lite. Why? Because it was here at the time.

I think you can use any pattern you want. I wouldn't get into tiny little pieces (unless you were paper piecing). Also, there is a very definite "grain" to the some dupionis, making it almost directional. I loved that look, but I know it drove a friend crazy looking at it. Go figure.

You can certainly mix them all up - it would give it a great texture with all the different piles. It's like an organized pieced crazy quilt.

And did you ever check out the quilts in the Neiman Marcus catalog? Thousands of dollars for a quilt make of 12" squares of different silks and velvets.

But as I wrote in the other thread, I did prewash all the silk dupioni. However, if I included the velvet it probably be a moot point as I don't think I'd ever wash the quilt.