Thread: Paper piecing?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 08:40 PM
JoanneS

I don't use printer paper for foundation piecing - too hard to remove from the fabric when I'm done piecing. Instead, I use tissue paper. I trace or design a 'master' block and staple about 6-8 tissue sheets to it. Then I 'sew' on the lines of the 'master' with an un-threaded needle. That way, all the copies are exactly the same, and the tissue is easy to remove from the back of the blocks. I remove the staples CAREFULLY. Then I number the sections of each tissue sheet, and I also label each with the color fabric it will have. Fewer piecing mistakes. You can staple more tissue paper and 'sew' more copies to make as many blocks as you need.

I do the same thing to make templates for each of the foundation pieces and then sew chain-style. That way, I don't have to 'guess' when I'm laying the fabric on the foundations. Some people don't bother with this step, but it makes things go faster and much more easily for me. I don't spend as much time figuring out if my pieces are going to be big enough.