View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 01:56 AM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JudyG
Originally Posted by sandpat
.I struggle with the "innies" too..as a matter of fact, I'm working on block # 26 right now and messing up those innies :roll:..I'm going to use fray check and I'm adding a few extra stitches at those points and then I'll pray that it stays. Lesley can help us though I bet...
I watched a Karen Kay Buckley video last night and her suggestion for the innie points seems to work really well. I have done half a dozen today the way she suggested and they certainly look much better and more stable than all the others I have done. I think we all know we're supposed to take some extra stitches right at the inner point. Her suggestion is that you stitch to within a couple of stitches of the inner point before you cut to the point. Make the cut as exactly in the center as you can so each side of the point has the same amount of fabric (not much!) Then you run your needle from just the other side of the point to where you have finished stitching, turning under what seam allowance you have. Take the remaining stitches to get to the point. At the point itself, you take 3 stitches, one on the right side of the point, one directly at the point and one to the left of the point. The trick is that when you take these 3 stitches you don't stitch into the background fabric, you only take the stitches in the applique piece itself. And you take a little tug on the stitches to pull the fabric tight. Then you start stitching up the other side. I noticed on the ones I did this way that I don't have the fraying that I've seen in my other pieces where I took all the stitches into the background fabric.

I don't know if I've explained it very well, but it works. You don't want to make the stitches very deep, just a couple of threads worth. Try it and see if it helps.

Oh, I forgot to say welcome to Toomanyufo's. You'll love this group.
Welcome Toomany - Judy put it very well, and Patti has already suggested what I was going to say (about using Fraycheck) if you are in any doubt.

Kathy, although they aren't members, (I keep trying to get them to join) I have three Sligo Quilters who also have the book and are going to make this quilt. One has two needle turned blocks under her belt, another is going to machine hers, and the third is still procrastinating about background fabric.