View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 08:36 AM
marycontrary

A Bernina is a wonderful machine to use for FMQ'g. Far less tension problems to deal with and a better stitch than other machines, IMO. As far as gloves, I've alway found that inexpensive garden gloves that fit and have the little knobbies on the fingers worked best for me. There is also a weighted red quilting "halo" that you can lay over your fabric and use it to move the fabric around -- check Sharon Schaumbers daughter's site, "purple daisies". I've also seen in sold on other sites. Other than that, use a sharp or quilting needle, I've never felt a need to use a Bobbin Genie with a Bernina, but that may be just me. Don't be afraid to draw designs by hand or with a stencil to follow. It will get you used to the different movement, doing curves, etc. Stitch in the ditch is a cinch with you walking foot and feed dogs UP. With a little practice you'll soon get a feel for placing that needle right in the ditch. After you've practiced for a while, don't be afraid to take your machine off slow speed and go for it. You will learn to control your speed on your own for even stitches. And you'll find there are time you can go very fast as long as you get in and out of points quickly, If you don't the needle goes up and down too many times in the same spot and can break the thread. Don't be afraid, just go for it. You have one of the best machines available for FMQ on a domestic. Good Luck!