Thread: Flowers
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 06:08 PM
HummerGardenCrafts

Originally Posted by cbuchanan
Originally Posted by HummerGardenCrafts
Originally Posted by cbuchanan
Oh, how I envy your chick and hens pot. A friend gave me a piece f her's and I noticed this morning I have two new shoots and am so excited. She promised me I couldn't kill them but wasn't willing to make her a bet. I kill everything green. My little plant looks so puny in the 6" pot but I talk very nicely to it every day hoping it will put out more new growth. Wonder how many years I have to keep it alive to get a pot like yours. You plant is gorgeous (as well as everything on your property.)
Thank you cbuchanan! I put all those in that pot last year. So that's what I got this year. They are really looking good. Every year I have to redo my big pots. They are so full of hens and chickens.
Those shutes you see coming out will have the little hens on them. Actually yours should fill the pot up and then some this year. I still have two big pots to thin out. Some of the ones I've repotted have grown so much. The hens will get really big if you keep taking the babies away when they get big enough. But I would wait until yours gets good and established.
All I do is pull the babies off and just stick them in dirt. They grow on their own.
The crab apple trees are showing themselves off now. The dogwoods are out in full bloom. And my wisteria is coming out super quick. I took a few pics this morning. But I wait until I get enough to download before I put them on.
I have green hens and chickens. A reddish green kind. And I ordered the red hens and chickens. I have three of those potted in pots. Now I hope they will grow for me.
That gives me great encouragement. Thanks for the tip regarding removing/repotting the chicks. Didn't know that. Just hope by next year my pot could come close to looking like yours. In general, I have a black thumb and very obviously, you have 10 green fingers. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Your place must be just beautiful.
You are so welcome. Never give up. Keep right on trying. I want to take one of the big black pots like shrubs come in. Cut out holes in different spots around it. Then plant impatients in the holes and top. If you get the holes in the right places and enough of them, you will have a big mound of impatients. I have a few new pics to post.