Old 04-24-2011, 09:20 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I've made several 4-patch posies and I usually decide how big to cut the squares based on how many I can fit into the amount of fabric in the repeats, so as to waste the least amount possible. If it's a smaller print, then smaller size squares seem to work the best. I usually aim for 3" and then go up or down 1/4 to 1/2 inch till I arrive at a number that divides into the amount of fabric in the repeat with the least amount of waste. But don't go smaller than 2.5 or larger than 3.5"
Ditto to the above ... although I wouldn't go for precise use of teh whole repeat. I leave a 1/2" or so, as a "fudge factor", just in case the ruler slips and I need to square it up again.

As per another PP, the pattern book gives dimensions, though you can switch that around to your liking. As you discovered, the bigger block sizes didn't create the effect you wanted.

My first 4PP, I only used 2-1/2" block sizes .... the print wasn't overly large. I've also seen some done where the blocks were quite large ... and the results incredible.