View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Nancy Ingham

Since I work in a tick-infested area, (swampy, with a variety of birds and wildlife), it was a concern as to how to protect my Bella. My vet recommended the use of Frontline. I went on line and learned that 44,000+ dogs had serious side effect (including death) with Frontline and similar products, last year alone, especially with small dogs under 20 pounds….Bella weighs in at just 10 pounds. Therefore, my research brought me to a natural bug repellant recipe that I could make and apply myself to protect her. I made the stronger version of this recipe with only 1 cup of water due to her high exposure to ticks. The jewel of this recipe is that you can use it on people (& children) too! I have been using it on Bella very successfully, and I am thrilled with both the results, and the knowledge that I am not applying poisonous chemicals to her small body. Additionally, the cost savings is very significant!

I wanted to share with you this recipe and hope that you will find it effective whether you need a repellant for you, your children or your pets against flying insects, mosquitoes, or ticks as we do.

Enjoy the spring & summer!

Bug Repellant Recipe

Ingredients:

1 cup Avon Skin So Soft (Original Oil)
2 cups white vinegar
1-3 cups water
1 Tablespoon Eucalyptus or Citronella oil (available at most health food stores).

Mix and Apply: Combine Ingredients and put in trigger spray bottle.
Shake well before each use.
*Spray a light mist over your dog - a little goes a long way.
Avoid nose and eyes

The weaker mixture (3 cups of water) works with flies and mosquitoes. The strongest mix (1 cup of water) is for when your dog is in tick-infested areas. However, it is not guaranteed to prevent ticks. Be sure you take other precautions, and check your dog thoroughly when you get home.

* I prefer to spray the mixture into my hands, and then rub it to the entire coat of my puppy.