View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Oz

I am in the process of finishing my first FM quilt. I was afraid to start it for over 2 months. I read and read more then I thought and thought about it. Finally I decided it was time to take the next step - and just start quilting. Here's what I learned:

1) Practice every time before you work on your quilt - just to get the feel of it again.

2) Don't be afraid to make a mistake. How else will you learn? No one else will probably notice once it's done.

3) Find the speed that works best for you. As you do different patterns you may need to adjust. (I just make up my own designs.)

4) I read on the QB to raise the feed dogs. The main part of my quilt was done with them lowered. Accidentally I started my last practice piece and didn't lower them and found the stitches were very even.

5) I use a low tension bobbin - makes a BIG difference.

6) A teflon sheet works very well for sliding the quilt.

7) Keep your quilt from pulling down. I will even put it up over my shoulder to make it easier for me as I quilt.

8) The most important thing I learned this evening as I was trying to finish the border - don't get your fingers anywhere near the needle! I ended up with a broken needle in my finger. Ouch!

Have fun. Don't be afraid to do it. Once the quilt's done the little imperfections will disappear.