View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 07:36 PM
TonnieLoree

Originally Posted by AZTeri
Originally Posted by suebee
Originally Posted by AZTeri
Every time I try free motion quilting with my ancient machine (Singer Futura II that I got in '76!) my needle breaks. I can't adjust tension in the bobbin, but I can in the top and it doesn't seem to help. In fact, the only thing that seems to do is mess up the sewing that I do manage to get before the needle breaks.

I have no problems with regular sewing. I really want to figure this out, since a new machine is not in the budget this year. This one has served me faithfully, and been a real work horse. I plan on taking it in for servicing while I go on a vacation next month, but if anyone has any suggestions in the mean time, I'd appreciate it!

Hi Teri - have you dropped your feed dogs? It may just be that you are moving the quilting too fast and putting too much tension on the needle. Also are you using a darning foot or free motion quilting foot? if you are trying to use a regular foot, it could be the needle hitting the foot.
I use a cover plate to cover my feed dogs, and no foot. I just looked and I do have a foot I've never used that I don't recognize, I wonder if that's what it is? Up until the last couple of years, and really up until this year, I've only used my machine for clothing. In fact, my machine did not see the light of day for several years while my attention was focused elsewhere. Now that I'm almost an empty nester (youngest is in college, but lives at home, sort of :) ) I have time to finally pursue this new hobby!
If you still have the instructions to your machine, you can identify that foot. It will probably be clear and a circle or oval shape. Here is a link: http://www.google.com/search?q=Pictu...w=1258&bih=565