View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Rose_P

Originally Posted by 1screech
Does anyone live in Paducah that can give me first hand information on the flooding, roads closed etc. We have driven from florida to NC to pick up another friend and heard there were issues in Paducah. We are unsure whether to continue on to Paducah or not. We are staying with an aunt in Marion Ill. Any comments welcome
For what it's worth, I have a friend in the vicinity of Marion (about an hour WNW of Paducah), and there has been a lot of rain for days on end, with more coming. It moves southeastward, so of course it will be all along many people's drive. There are flood warnings along the Ohio River including Paducah. The city has a flood wall, but you need to pay very close attention to weather reports. A little battery operated weather radio might be a good investment.

Whatever you do, everyone, please never drive into water. In an unfamiliar area, you can't tell if it's 3" deep or 20". Water moves with tremendous force, and it only takes a few inches to wash your car out of your intended path. I live near Houston, which is flat and low-lying. Every time there is heavy rain here there are pictures on the evening news of motorists afloat. I do not want to hear of any of our quilt friends in that predicament!

Thursday and Friday are supposed to be sunny in Paducah, but the river will keep rising because of earlier rain.

Weather.com has the following warnings: http://www.weather.com/weather/alert...efrom=national

Have fun - if you go in spite of all this! We'll be waiting for you to come back to do some show and tell.