View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 PM
CAROLJ

Originally Posted by Rita's mom
CAROLJ thanks so much for all of the great information. You are so right about how easy it is to get discouraged when you aren't losing. I know it is better to lose slower but I have so much to lose I worry I will get discouraged and give up if I don't lose at a little bit faster rate. I need to get going on my exercise and hopefully that will help.

I agree with what Irish said about a simple post really helping or effecting someone. Reading all of the different posts really help us stay motivated.

Carrie I hope you reconsider and stick with us for May we need you here.

Just courious is 1200 calories what most everyone tries to stick to?
1,200 is what is recommended to stay healthy and lose weight. It may go lower through exercise and with medical advice. Under 1,200 may throw your body into what is referred to as a starvation mode. As I stated before when I went drastically below 1,200 calories I was losing weight and hair by the handfuls. And I went below 1,200 with my doctors OK. I was eating a balanced diet, but not enough to be healthy. When I added 200 calories my hair stopped falling out, and a lot of my depression went away. I now stay around 1,200 and I am losing about 4 to 5 pounds a month.

It takes about 3,500 calories to lose a pound. My doctor gave me a formula to determine calories. Take the weight you want to be and multiply it by 11. That is the approximate calories needed to maintain that weight. You will lose weight because you are heavier. For example, I want to weigh 135 so it is 135 X 11=1,485 calories to maintain a weight of 135. At 165 I will continue to lose weight as I need 1,850 to maintain a weight of 165; a savings of 330 calories a day. Or 2,300 calories a week, 10,395 a month. This is about 3 pounds a month.

If you don't undestand what I trying to awkwardly say, PM me with your desired weight and your current weight amd I will do the math for you. Carol

PS
I would join a weight loss site such a Livestrong, Sparkpeople or Myfitnesspal. They all have calorie and fitness counters and all three state going under 1,200 isn't a good idea.