View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 02:14 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by San Diego Quilter
I will have to remember to press seams open on my next OBW....I did not do it on this one. After watching the video, I realize that I made things far more difficult by fully assembling the hexigons and then sewing the rows together. I had to struggle with all of those "Y" seams.

*laughing* Best to research, buy a pattern, or find someone else that has done the project.....but I saw them on the board and just couldn't wait!

Linda
I always tell ppl that they really need the book to make one of these - all the free tutes etc don't go far enough, not only in the construction details but also with getting the design layout right - this is the 'make or break' issue for me with these! After the nearly twenty I have made, I still refer to the books from time to time. I made the you tube thing to demonstrate my own particular (and rather pernickety!) way of pinning the points and also to show the 'wiggle and press' way of pressing an open seam as I heard so many ppl had trouble with open seams (and flat ones! :lol:)) resorted to pressing them to one side then complained about the bulk. OBW are not difficult, just complex if you see the difference and really reward being done 'properly' ie by the book. I hate to see ppl struggle and often note that it's those who haven't invested in one of the books. :-D Please do make another one - don't be put off! They're such fun and it's such a versatile technique - I hate to repeat a pattern and this is the only one I've made several times, everyone is different. And I have a stack of fabrics here calling to me now to be deconstructed and made into something unique. :-D