Old 04-27-2011, 04:12 AM
Scrap Happy

Originally Posted by SundarKoyal
That is too bad, becuase there are new styled doggie doors out on the market that have sensors on them. Your dog would have what is called a "Smart Key" tag on the collar, and the door unlocks to let the dog out. It also relocks as soon as your dog is either outside or has just come back in. This way no other unwanted stray animals can come in or out except for your own pet.

Just do a google search for "doggie doors with sensors". They are not that badly priced, and they work quite well.
I have never heard about these. Thank you for this great and helpful info.

I'm a bit over protective of my girls and would peak outside before letting them out in the yard, here in FL. DH has found a couple pygmy rattlers in the yard. They are small, aggressive poisonous snakes.

In southern FL we have bofu toads (you can google them if you are curious.) They get up to 12" around. The dobie in my avatar got into one last summer. The toads come out at night, for the most part. They are poisonous and can be deadly to dogs. So now in the warm months DH & I go out with the girls when we let them out in the back yard. At night we take a flashlight. These toads are not native to FL. If your dog ever gets a hold of one, remain calm. If you panic your dog will sense this and the poison will go through their system faster. Quickly take your dog to a garden hose and rinse their mouth out for 5 minutes, sideways so that the poison doesn't go down there throat. Call the vet right away. DH saved our girl by rinsing her mouth while I got on the phone with the vet. It could have been fatal and happens quick, 20 minutes. Larger breed dogs fair better because it takes the poison longer to get through their system.