Old 04-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Miz Johnny

Originally Posted by treadlep
I've been looking at all of the vintage machines and have been inspired to clean up and use an old treadle machine I inherited from my great grandmother. I'm interested in any information anyone can provide regarding the manufacturer and age of this machine. It works fine and seems to be in very good condition. The only information on the machine is the name "richmond", but paperwork with it indicates it was sold by the Charles William Store. The needles with the machine are stamped "B Eldredge", but I have no idea whether a currently manufactured needle might work (seems longer than the average needle). It has a metal spring belt that drives the treadle, a shuttle bobbin and came with a box of Griest attachments. I've checked out several pages of this forum and only seen a few machines that seem to be close. Thanks so much!
Definitely a badged National, and in absolutely wonderful shape. The Nationals generally take Boye size 14 needles, but DamascusAnnie, the Queen of National machines, says she just uses a regular 15 x 1 needle and "cheats" it down a bit. Let me know if that works for you, and if not, we will hunt for needles that work!!