Old 04-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Maride

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
Thanks everyone. Well, first of all, I don't know how to do free motion yet and probably wouldn't even try on this machine. Secondly, I have stenciled the star outline and am just sewing it. I put in a brand new schmetz 80/12 quilting needle and have re-threaded twice. It sews fine on the straight parts of the star and only skips/ eyelashes exactly at the point, where you would pivot & turn, one stitch at a time. I have a Husq. Viking Emerald 203, which I completely despise, but it's only been used for 3 other small projects. I am also a fanatic cleaner of my machine and clean after EVERY project, since the only thing I know how to do is rag quilt...lol.

@Maride...I thought you HAD to use cotton when quilting and could not use the poly?? That's what the Viking dealer told me anyway...
A little secret...you are free to use whatever you want whenever you want as long as it works for you. Yesterday I was in a rush to finish a gift and didn't have a piece of batting big enough. So, I took a piece of bright yellow felt and used that as batting. While quilting it with 100 wt silk I noticed a few eye lashes and all of a sudden the thread broke. I switched to 60 wt thread and it worked beautifully. The corners laid against the wall perfectly and my mitered corners were perfect. Is my little secret. The recipient will know, since I told her the quilt is not to be washed already because of paints used in it. Remember, whatever works.